Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Getting into the swing of things

I'm finally mostly settled here, classes are sorted out (with a preschool volunteer program for 2 units and SSPC for 1 unit to get up to the 13 required to be a full-time student) and I only have 3 real ones with outside work, I'm in my permanent room with my actual roommate and we seem to be getting along okay, and I have my permanent workshift schedule. Oy. It's actually not bad at all except for the hour and forty five minutes of mopping I get to do every Monday night...ugh. I might try and switch it with someone but I don't see that happening, no one will want it. Well! It's only 13 or 14 times, right?

It's sort of bizarre though, I've been thinking a lot about things that won't be happening for a very long time and it's hard not to wish that things were different right now. That's vague enough, no? There is specifically one thing that keeps coming to mind, but even aside from that with all the books I've been reading - stuff for my sociology class, all my knitting books, other blogs, anything - it's hard not to think about what I want the far-away future to be like.

Mostly the thoughts come from reading Knitting in America and The Second Shift. Knitting in America has the stories of a bunch of knitters all over America and how they got to be doing what they're doing, living on farms, designing knitwear in cities, running yarn shops, whatever they're up to, and I can't help thinking about what it would be like to do something similar. The Second Shift is for my sociology class and talks about how working parents of 2-job families (where both the mother and father work) deal with "the second shift" of caring for the house and child(ren). So I'm thinking about where I want to be living, what I want to be doing, and how I want to be living with the family I will hopefully be doing it all with, and it's all very different from the present...living in a co-op in Berkeley while I try to manage the two majors and squeeze in time to knit whenever I can. I guess it's just strange feeling priorities sort of shift or just be reconsidered at least and not exactly be completely in the moment anymore. The thing to do would be to try and accept that everything I'm thinking about will have to wait and just be where I am for now, but it's hard to stop once it's started.

Anyway hopefully I'll be able to show progress on the afghan soon, for now it's coming slowly. Very slowly. But I think I'm off to work on it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment