Monday, August 24, 2009

Mom's scarf


Mom Scarf 3, originally uploaded by limelady722.

After I finished the toys for Tom I had nothing to knit. So I used the green yarn Mom had picked out when I tried to teach her to knit (she didn't really enjoy it) and started practicing stockinette stitch while I worked on a scarf for her.

Once I learned how to purl, it felt like the entire world of knitting just opened up. Essentially everything (it seems) is made up of just knit and purl stitches, so I was finally free to try out patterns and make more interesting things. This was my first experience adding in a second color (even if I only did it once) and I loved how it looked. It was so gratifying to see the neat V's connect in a line, the green divided from the cream.

The one thing I wish I'd known when I made this was how badly stockinette can curl in on itself without a different stitch on the edges to hold it in place. I tried blocking it (another first) to keep it flatter and it sort of helped, but not completely. Oh well! I'll know next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment